Saturday, September 28, 2013

Just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.  I can't stop thinking about it.  It is so unnerving because of its speculative future society, because in many ways it is like existing life on earth.  We've got to be so careful about this world!

Previously I had read The Year of the Flood, out of sequence, and unfortunately it was long enough ago that my memory fails me a little.  Nonetheless, I cannot wait to read MaddAddam, which concludes the trilogy.  I'm thinking that the Internet can help me to fill in any gaps.  It was nice that one could read The Year of the Flood withut having read the first book and still follow the amazingly well-developed story.  The events of the two novels occur concurrently, which makes for an interesting experience traveling in the unfortunate world that Atwood describes.

In any case, reading these dystopian novels makes me want to clean up my act, recycle, go to church, and be good and kind.  Really, I want the world to be a good place, so I aim to do my part.  Fortunately there is the medium of speculative fiction, as we all need to heed these cautionary tales, and thankfully there is Margaret Atwood to visualize where we might be going if we don't shape up.

Please shape up!






No comments:

Post a Comment