Sunday, September 15, 2013

So I finished reading Loving Frank and was not prepared for the tragic ending from real life.  I wish that I had heeded my initial peek at Wikipedia for the actual real events, but I got so caught up in the characters that I actually finished the book and read the afterword by Nancy Horan, only to remember that it was a dreadful conclusion.

Although, I'm glad that I read the book that had been so well written and engaging, despite my initial objections to the apparent immorality.  Actually the questions of true love and women's independence kind of trumped the initial chagrin, and I found myself agreeing  with the author about the significance of Mamah Borthwick's story.

In any case, the events of the story led me to believe that celebrity is a silly idea, and that people should never be so up in other people's business.  I still believe that Frank Lloyd Wright did great work, and now I'm just so sorry to hear of the tragedy in his sphere.

In light of ensuring that everyone stays comfortable, the purpose of this post is to remind everyone to check out the true events of this novel first, or to at least proceed with caution.  I think that if I had assimilated the words on the back flap appropriately, I never would have been so shocked.  Or heeded the wisdom of the Wikipedia.   In any case, I'm truly a rube, and maybe this is why folks should not drop out of architecture school prematurely, and maybe we all should just do our homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment