Saturday, July 26, 2014

Hi.  Sorry not to have posted for so long, but I just haven't really felt like saying anything.  Plus I'm hooked now on Goodreads.

In keeping with my fascination with the artistic temperament, I read two books that were just splendid.  Guests on Earth by Lee Smith is a tender book about a young lady who grows up in a mental health treatment center in North Carolina, whose life intercedes with another patient, Zelda Fitzgerald.  This is, of course, based in reality, though it is beautifully crafted fiction.  The narrator, Evalina, is perhaps the sweetest psych patient that is actually a gifted musician.  The title of the book comes from a quote by F. Scott about mental patients being, "guests on earth."  Funny, I know the feeling.

The other book that I super incredibly enjoyed was I Always Loved You by Robin Olivera, or maybe  Oliviera, I can't remember exactly, my bad.  This chronicled the love between Mary Cassatt and Edgar Degas, which was wrought in a love for painting and mutual respect, though tempered by the romantic social constraints of the time.  It was a delight to read because of my new love for the French Impressionists, and because Mary Cassatt is so amazing, especially for her time.

OK so I left this as a draft for a long time, but I've been reading, and here's an update of a similar theme.  Just finished Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland, which also chronicled the lifestyle of a French Impressionist, Auguste Renoir.  This was a splendid, though at times ponderous read, that took me forever to finish, but had a very satisfying ending and inspired me to paint, for the love of it.  That's my take-away from the Impressionists, paint because you love it.  Degas, in fact told Cassatt, that she "paints love," and that was her strength.

These books made me so glad to be alive, despite difficulty, and have encouraged me to make art.  Granted, I'm still slow as molasses, but now the element of love is a part of my book selection and reading, and now as well of my painting.  I'll keep you posted on my next endeavors, though I think that my current book, The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt, might take me a little while to finish. 

Oh well, I love it. :)

1 comment: