Thursday, August 21, 2014

This is my take on The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt.  I did enjoy it, and admittedly I did fall in love with the beautifully drawn characters of Theo and Boris, and Hobie.  I felt much sympathy for Theo's love for Pippa, assuredly. And his dear friend family who took him in was lovable, too.

The only problem that I found with the novel was its great length, but when I finished it, it was with much satisfaction.  I can see how the book might be especially boring if the reader doesn't appreciate really impressive substance abuse, but as a significant part of the character's lives, it does read well.

So it's not a book for everybody, but it is right nice for me.

I am now completely enamored of Matthew Quick, whom you might know from The Silver Linings Playbook.  I very quickly and happily read, The Good Luck of Right Now, which is his latest.  What is so nice about this book is that it has incredibly quirky characters, that are also incredibly lovable.

Now I'm reading The Signature of All Things, by Elizabeth Gilbert.  It's pretty good, not too precious, and interesting, especially if one shares an interst in botany. 

Another book that I read and incredibly enjoyed recently was Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail by Louise Shivers.  What a treasure to read, and what a lovely lady who wrote it.  Although I was motivated to read the book by her recent passing, I'm glad that I was able to share this book with her, in my life. 

Well, that's enought blogging for today.  I hope that all is well.



No comments:

Post a Comment